Suggested materials/things to bring:
- In the winter it is does get cold so bring suitable warm clothing/outdoor wear and waterproofs
- In the summer there are mosquitoes so bring insect repellant, it gets very hot so it is a good idea to a bring sun hat, plenty of sun tan lotion and swimming things.
- Torch - it's very dark walking around the estate at night.
- If you are not driving then stock up on food on the way as there aren't any shops near-by.
The studio is provided with:
There are no shops within walking distance of the Pignano estate, the town of Volterra, which is a twenty five minute drive away, has a small supermarket. The nearest art shop is in Siena (see below), which is about an hour's drive away, so it is best to bring all the art materials that you think you might need with you.
Here are links to some local art supply and hardware stores in Siena and nearby Florence:
- Ruffoli snc Emporio per le Arti is just outside the city walls, 18 Viale Goffredo Mameli, Siena for more info see www.ruffoli.it
- Art Shop, Via di Città , Siena, tel. 0577 47088
- Acquarello Belle Arti is in the historic city centre on 56 Via Terme, Siena, tel 057741346. Open 9:30 am-1:20 pm, 4pm- 7:30 pm. More in for here www.acquarellobellearti.it
There are also numerous cartolerias (paper stores) including:
- Cartoleria Mariotti, Banchi di Sopra 45, Siena, tel. 0577280485 (has a lot of large sheets of paper on their second floor, with very reasonable prices).
- Blu Office, La Lizza 13/17 (Piazza Gramsci), Siena, tel 0577 41186 www.fusishop.com
- Cartoleria Bonucci, Via dei Rossi 16, Siena, tel 0577 42114
Ferramenta naldini di sozzi paola e c. sas 44, Via Termini - 53100 Siena (SI) mappa tel: 0577 282155. Please note: closed mid-day, from 12:45 to 3:30
For craft supplies, wood, etc:
Cose di Casa / Mr Brico Via Massetana Roma 50, Siena, tel 0577 226104, www.cosedicasasiena.com
For hardware, industrial paint, etc:
Colorama, Via Toselli 106, Siena, tel 0577 285230
Legno e.... Via Delle Arti 27, (loc Due Ponti) Siena, tel 0577 530106
Most of these shops are open from 10 am to 1 pm and from 3:30 -6 pm. M-F and Saturday mornings, but call to confirm.
Art Supply Stores in Florence include:
- Zecchi Colori e Belle Arti, Florence
- Salvini Articoli per Belle Arti, Florence
- Fratelli Rigaci Articoli per Belle Arti, Florence
Online orders can be placed to many sources including:
- OPITEC-Italia Srl
- Belle Arti Lizzani di Lizzani Saverio
- Amicucci: Materiali e colori per i belle Arti
It is also possible to have supplies shipped to Pignano from other countries, although international shipping is expensive.